This article discusses a number of simple steps you can take in order to stay safe when using Skype.
Create Strong Passwords
Choosing a secure password to access your Skype account is crucial. The following are some password tips:
- Use a mixture of letters, numbers and special characters.
- Use a unique password that is not used on any other site.
- Change your password frequently.
Managing Skype Privacy Settings
To manage your privacy settings on a PC:
- Open Skype and click Tools > Options > Privacy.
To manage your privacy settings on a Mac:
- Open Skype and go to Skype > Options > Privacy.
Managing Your Skype Profile
Your Skype profile can be seen by millions of other people on Skype, so be sure to keep the following in mind:
- Do not include details in your profile that you don’t want others to see.
- If necessary, you can change your profile at any time.
Make sure you trust a website or merchant before giving them your credit card information. Never reply to emails that request your credit card details, passwords or other data. Skype will never request such data by email.
Sometimes, people may try to trick you into giving them personal information. For example, someone might send you a message and ask you to click a link. When you click this link you are directed to a website that looks like Skype, but is actually being controlled by a third party. When you enter your Skype username and password, they use this information for malicious purposes.
If you receive such an email, be sure not to click the link. Instead, go to skype.com and login to your account directly from the Skype website. If you think your account may have been compromised, you should login to Skype and change your password immediately.