Is the Federal ‘Cyber Security Proposal’ a Step Backwards?

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

An article on ABCNews.com reports on a recent federal proposal to standardize how the public is notified of a data breach. After all, since 2005, the credit-card data and personal identifying information contained in more than 500-million files have been accessed by countless unauthorized persons. However, as the article notes, this proposal “is a step backwards, not forwards, [because] the disclosure provisions are problematic. First of all, for the most part they preempt state laws, which are often more stringent than this federal law.” The author of the article — the co-founder of Identity Theft 911 — also points out that “if more than 500-million files (that we know about) have been breached and about 17% of the individuals in those databases have suffered personal compromises, what happened to the other 83%? There is no Identity Fairy. There is no magic trunk into which all uncompromised identities are swept.”

Get Private Wifi   Protect your personal information.
Get DataCompress   Cut your mobile data usage.

Elaine Rigoli

Elaine Rigoli is PRIVATE WiFi’s manager of digital content strategy.