Each morning, as part of my work for the Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC), I review my inbox for scams that have come through in JUST THE PAST 24 HOURS!!! I am putting these scams into the context of what would happen if they were real offers. Hopefully, this will help show the absurdity of the thieves’ claims and persuade consumers to avoid such scams.
- I would have another job offer open immediately in my area.
- I could have the same unlimited plan I currently have for my smartphone for $23/month.
- My next purchase at Victoria’s Secret would be free.
- I would no longer need a qualified physician to obtain prescription medication.
- I could get an Amazon Kindle for $8.37.
- I have four free flights to claim courtesy of Southwest Airlines.
- I can call in and get my free Walmart gift card.
- Ms. Peggy Street has asked me again about receiving her husband’s inheritance and giving it out to motherless children.