Securing Our eCity Foundation (SOeC), in conjunction with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, has developed a Public Service Announcement featuring five tips for keeping yourself safe on your mobile device.
In this PSA, airing on San Diego’s NBC 7, FBI Special Agent Darell Foxworth states, “Securing your mobile device is essential to keep your data out of the hands of crooks.”
Agent Foxworth provides the following steps for protected yourself:
- Lock your device with a passcode.
- When using public WiFi, limit using e-mail, social networking, shopping, and banking, unless you have a secure Virtual Private Network, or VPN.
- Keep your device up to date. When software patches are available, use them.
- Avoid questionable apps, and only download from trusted sources.
- Always back up your data.